Burnside Hospital is embarking on a major refurbishment of its Short Stay Procedure Unit, in what will be the most significant redevelopment at the hospital since 2002.
The new Short Stay Procedure Unit will update and expand the ageing facilities and respond to the expectations of our patients, doctors, staff and visitors. It will allow us to deliver new day surgery facilities that will set the benchmark in the patient pre-operative experience. With greater space and ambiance, new patient amenities will improve not only comfort and privacy, but will have an impact on what patients do while waiting for their procedure, in line with modern expectations and requirements.
Please be assured that it is 'business as usual' for our Short Stay Procedure Unit, with careful planning and the use of staging and some afterhours work to ensure we can continue to deliver the high level of service the hospital is renowned for during construction.
About the redevelopment
Key features of the redevelopment are:
- A large pre-operative waiting area, providing improved patient privacy and comfort
- A larger contemporary post operative environment in the patient recovery area
- Four pre-anaesthetic consulting rooms located within the suite
- A post operative consulting room enabling private conversations to be held with patients
- The ability to better meet the special health needs of patients
- Wireless technology (wifi) enabling patients to use their smart devices or laptops while waiting for surgery
In short, an improved ambience in a spacious waiting area, with natural light and views over heritage-listed Attunga Gardens that meets the needs and expectations of privately insured patients now and into the future.
Our redevelopment objectives are to:
- Better met patient health care requirements by offering a more comfortable, contemporary and private setting
- Facilitates the delivery of safe, high quality care
- Provides a safe and comfortable working environment for specialists and staff.
We will continue to deliver excellence in patient care throughout the redevelopment providing high-quality clinical care and supporting the comfort and everyday needs of our patients, their families and visitors.
Timing and stages
The size of the redevelopment and the need for Burnside Hospital to continue to deliver patient care throughout this time means demolition and construction has to be undertaken in carefully planned stages.
Beginning in July 2016, the project is expected to be completed in early 2017.
Artist's impression of the new pre operative waiting area.
Artist's impression of the new front reception (ground floor).