Burnside Hospital offers a complimentary Pre-Admission Service to assist patients in preparing for major elective surgery.
Our goal is to enhance your preparation for surgery by providing timely, comprehensive information in an informal, supportive setting. The Pre-Admission Service allows you to raise any questions or concerns regarding your procedure and subsequent recovery, including any pre-existing conditions or specific requirements you may have.
The session will take from 30 to 45 minutes and is conducted by an experienced Registered Nurse. A friend or relative may accompany you.
Your pre-admission assessment includes:
- A review of your admission forms
- An outline of pre and post operative care
- Education about pain management, intravenous therapy, wound drains, oxygen therapy, chest physiotherapy and leg exercises
- An electrocardiogram (ECG), if required
- Blood tests, if required
- An outline of exercise and mobilisation regimes
- Advice regarding your predetermined length of stay as indicated by your doctor
- An opportunity for you to discuss any aspect of your planned surgery
For Pre-Admission Service appointments
Please phone (08) 8202 7232, Monday - Friday between 8am and 4pm.
A Pre-Admission consultation may be initiated via your referring surgeon, the Pre-Admission Service or you may also wish to refer yourself for an appointment if you have medical conditions that require assessment or discussion.
We encourage you to take advantage of this service as preparation for your surgery.